Monday, May 9, 2011

The City

Recently I traveled back to my hometown of Guilderland, New York for the Easter weekend. Guilderland is a typical suburb whose only notoriety is being the town with "the big mall." Neighborhoods are dotted with identical houses and long driveways. In Guilderland, high school sports rule and lawn care is a favorite pastime. In keeping with my newly found running regime, I decided to go out running in my old 'hood when I was home a few weekends ago. Since I didn't do much running in high school, almost all of my running experience has been on the streets of Boston--a city. Despite running at my usual pace and a comfortable mileage, I couldn't have had a more different experience when running in the 'burbs. If there was ever a question as to what atmosphere provides a better running experience, I would have to say that without a shadow of a doubt, the city would win.

Let's start with the terrain. The roads in Guilderland are nicely paved and relatively flat. One would think that this would make for a better running environment. I disagree. Running down the sidewalks of Boston is an exhilarating, and death defying experience. Stray bricks poking out of the ground add an element of danger to the run, making fancy footwork a must for avoiding a face plant.

While running through the streets in my childhood neighborhood, there's not much to think about. I noticed the house of my childhood friend, still looking exactly the same. I ran by the spot where I know I fell over while riding my bike. Thrilling stuff. When running around the streets of Cambridge, particularly Harvard University, my mind always wanders to the people who have pounded the same pavement before me. Presidents, Supreme Court Justices, Nobel laurets, Facebook founders--some of the most important and influential people in the world have ran (okay, probably walked) the streets of Harvard. The suburbs will never have the history and culture that is found in the city.

If I haven't already made a case for the perks of running in the city, then let me leave you with the most important reason: the camaraderie. On my 4 mile run in Guilderland on a Saturday afternoon, I passed 0 runners, 3 walkers, 2 children, and a dog. While on my runs in Cambridge I pass a multifarious group of city dwellers that have become a familiar comfort to me. First off, there are the other runners that I encounter. I love the feeling that I'm not out there trudging along by myself. The friendly hello's from my fellow exercisers lift my spirits (even if it comes from the speed walker who frequently laps me). Secondly, there is my cheering section, made up of the homeless people who hang out in Mass Ave. Smokes-a-lot lady always has an encouraging smile for me, and the toothless man outside of the 7-Eleven thinks I'm super fast (I think he's just humoring me).

So next time you're on a run and curse the city Gods because there's construction blocking your path, or you almost get hit by a car, please keep this post in mind. Because clearly the city wins.




1 comment:

  1. On the mornings when I manage to drag myself out of bed, running on suburban streets can be quite peaceful. Mind you, that actually happens maybe 5% of the time I go to bed saying, "Hey, I should run first thing in the morning," so the rest of the time I do miss running in the city.

    ReplyDelete